Wednesday, February 23, 2011

God's Word is Truth

      
      Jesus is truth. Jesus is the only thing that truly satisfies us while we live in a sea full of lies. This biblical truth is solid. His Word and current statistics all point to the same place.
a.      I have the privilege to expand on that biblical truth by encouraging you about God’s Word; specifically encourage all of you that God’s word is Truth.
b.      We'll explore how God’s word is Truth, how we can live by the Truth, and the role that the truth plays in our lives
c.       To begin, I want share some context to this message by sharing a part of my life while I was not following the truth of God’s word.
1.       I became a Christian my junior year of high school. I trusted Jesus to be who he said he was and accepted to pursue an intimate relationship with him.
2.      See, I did the whole youth group, Sunday morning church, bible study thing. It was great, but it was only on the surface. I had no direction; I was pretty much “winging it”. See, I was not in God’s word seeking truth for my life. I tried to find direction everywhere but God’s word. I searched in discovery of myself, in parties, and in relationships. I came away emptier and I deeply hurt some people. People who looked up to me were led the wrong way.
3.      It doesn’t have to be like that, God is waiting expectantly to help Guide us. We have the gift of God’s word. So, finally I had to seek the truth in God’s Word for myself. I had to find direction. And I found it. I am now continually seeking the Truth in God’s Word.
     Introduction to the Bible:
a.      Before we go any further, I would like to say a few things about God’s Word. In a country with such great freedoms it is easy to take for granted our greatest gifts. The bible is truly a gift. This is a holy, God-breathed, collection of 66 books. It is illegal in 51 countries. And estimated 176,000 Christians are martyred annually by faithfully following the contents of the Holy Bible. The bible is printed in over 2200 languages, and is the best seller every year. It is the greatest story of love, betrayal, adventure, brotherhood, war, prophesy, miracles, wisdom, and of hope. It is the story of the beginning and of the end. It is a story of God and his love for all of us.
1.      To add to that: The bible is scientifically accurate. It makes many clear scientific claims about radioactivity, hydrology, astronomy, biology, physics, and many other areas of science, many of claims were well before their time.
2.      The bible is historically accurate. Archeology and history fully agree with the Bible.
3.      The bible is prophetically accurate. There are hundreds and hundreds of prophetic claims made in the Bible that have been fulfilled with dramatic accuracy.
4.      The Bible is textually accurate. There are thousands of copies of Biblical manuscripts that no text is in question.
      The Word is Truth:
              a. Let’s get into the word: (Jesus is the word and the word is truth)
                                                              i.      John 1:1, 14 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
1.      From this foundational scripture, The Word is God, The Word is with God, The Word is Jesus, and The Word is truth.
                                                            ii.      A few chapters over, John 17:17 Jesus prays “Sanctify them with the truth; your word is the truth.”
1.      Here Jesus states clearly that the Word is truth and he prays for his disciples that they would be sanctified through the truth in God’s word.
a.      Hebrew word for sanctified means to separate from ungodliness and be dedicated to God.




b.      Another scripture that clearly states that God’s word it truth (All scripture is God breathed.)
                                                              i.      2 Timothy 3:16-17 “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
c.       Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”
                                                              i.      The Holy Spirit turns the scripture into Living Word.
1.      The Holy Spirit takes our thoughts, the attitudes in our hearts, and pierces us there. He knows that we are dealing with, and He will use the Word in light of that.
a.      When God is really working a concept of truth into my life, the verses I happen to read nail that specific subject. Have you ever been in church and it feels like that pastor is talking directly to you, because it is word for word what you and God are going through? That is likely to be the Holy Spirit using God’s word to actively interweave your life with God’s word.




d.      Isaiah 55:10-11 “As the rains and the snow come from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
                                                              i.       God has an awesome plan, when we read his Word he uses that, it’s always constructive, it will not return empty.

      So, Acknowledging the Word as truth is crucial, at the same time there is much more to the Christian life: We must live by the Truth and be seeking more Truth
a.      James 1:22 “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.”
                                                              i.      It is great to read and listen to the Word, but we must also live it out compared to accepting one thing then doing something else and lying to ourselves.
b.      Matthew 4:4 “Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
                                                              i.      We are either starving or well nourished on God’s word. Reading his word should be our source of everything we do. We need to consume God’s word, metabolize it into action, and use its energy to fulfill God’s will...
c.       2 Timothy 2:15 Paul writes to a young leader, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.”
d.      1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 “Test everything. Hold onto the good. Avoid every kind of evil.”
                                                              i.      We need to know God’s truth and use it as a filter in life. To separate good from evil, to follow Godliness.
6     When we do live out and seek the truth, it will play a huge and awesome role in our lives.
a.      (Set u free)
                                                              i.      John 8:31, 36 “Jesus said, ‘If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free…If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
1.      With knowing the truth we will be free from all the lies, worries, and burdens of the world.
b.      (Understand God’s will)
                                                              i.      Romans 12:2 “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is- his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
1.       By renewing our minds, filling our minds with truth




      Psalm119 reminds me that we should seek his word simply out of love for God.
a.      Dakota encouraged me about a week ago, that everything we do should be done simply because we love God, because he is worthy.
b.      I would love to read all of 119, but there are 176 verses, for times-sake I made a highlight reel. I encourage you to check out Psalm 119 in your own intimate time with God. …
      “I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. I rejoice in following your statuettes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your percepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees. I will not neglect your word. Teach me, O LORD; Give me understanding. I trust in your word. You are my portion, O LORD. Teach me knowledge and good judgment. I have put my hope in your word. Your word, O LORD, is eternal. Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. The unfolding of your words gives light. Trouble and distress come upon me, but your commands are my delight. Your statutes are forever right; give me understanding that I may live. You are near, O LORD, and all your commands are true. Let me live that I may praise you and may your laws sustain me."
a.      May we like this Psalmist and be passionate about God's Word. May our hearts be inflamed with a desire to know and live out all of God's truth through his amazing words!
 My personality loves challenges. I am taking this challenge for myself and I would like to encourage and challenge you right now.
1.      I challenge you to become a lover of God’s Word.
a.      to let the bible transform your life.
b.      To hide God’s word in your heart.
c.       Ask yourself: What legacy of faith will I leave behind?
d.      Also ask: Do my loved ones, friends, coworkers, and fellow students know how the Bible impacts my life?
  Closing:
a.      If you’re new this whole God and following Jesus thing, see my post "Why Jesus" at http://brandonsgodblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/so-someone-may-ask-you-or-you-may-be.html
b.      Everyone else, I pray you take these challenges serious. May you seek the truth in God’s word in all of your life, and in every circumstance. Once again may you be like the psalmist on fire with a burning desire for God’s word, may you leave behind a legacy of faith instead of going through the motions. May you know the Truth and may it set you free.
1.      Close in prayer 

No comments:

Post a Comment