This bible study is diving into what God has to say about reaching our friends and how we can go about doing so.
I want to start by showing a quick video. [Miracle Maker: lowering of paralyzed man from roof]
Let's get into scripture and read the story ourselves. Mark 2:1-12 let's just read all the way through.
- Paralyzed were seen as worthless.
- Can you imagine the joy of this man when his 4 friends picked this man up?
- Everyone gathered to see the man who saves, the man who heals, he calms the storms, he was very popular.
Stop at Mark 2:4. This is where most friends stop. We have the heart to bring our friends to Jesus but when we hit a barrier we stop. let's read on...
- What are barriers that may stop us from reaching our friends?
- How can we overcome those barriers, how can we be creative?
Mark 2:5 Jesus saw the faith of his friends! This is one of the coolest part of the story.
Jesus met the man's deepest need.
- What are our friends deepest needs?
- What about all the other paralyzed people. The hundreds or thousands of paralyzed friends that didn't have friends to take them to Jesus?
- If it were not for these friends where would the man still be?
- What traits did these friends show?
- What does this mean. How do we die for our friends?
- What does this mean in terms of taking them to Jesus?
- Why did God place us in this time and place here and at home?
- What does the term "Sphere of influence" mean to you?
- What must someone do to be saved?
- What does it take for our friends to hear the Gospel?
- Who has God chosen to bring the "good news"?
- How does prayer relate to reaching our friends?
- What qualities should come from our words as we share the Gospel?
- How can you "always be prepared" to share your faith?
- What are some questions friends may ask us that are opportunities?
- What would you say to a friend that asked "how do you become a Christian?"
I admit this can be scary: We have help:
Acts 1:6-8 "So when they met together, they asked him, "Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?" He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his won authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
This should be our prayer:
Ephesians 6:19-20 "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words my be give me so that I will fearlessly make know the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chins. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as i should.
Let's end in prayer:
(*i need to note that this bible study was inspired by desperation podcast.)